Study Reveals Links Between Mental Disorders And Hoarding Behavior

  Updated On:

ADHD and Hoarding Behavior Are Linked News

Mental Health News

A group of researchers at the Anglia Ruskin University (ARU) studied the link between attention deficit hyperactivity disorder ADHD and hoarding behavior. The study is published in the Journal of Psychiatric Research.

Understanding Hoarding Disorder

Hoarding disorder is a mental health disorder in which people experience compulsive tendencies to excessively accumulate items. These items clutter their everyday lives and negatively impact their day-to-day functioning and quality of life. Typical hoarded items include newspapers, magazines, clothing, household goods, etc.

The Study

The researchers recruited 88 participants from an adult ADHD clinic run by the Cambridge and Peterborough NHS Foundation Trust. They were asked to solve questionnaires related to ADHD symptoms, impulsivity, levels of clutter and hoarding, obsessive-compulsive tendencies, perfectionism, mental disorders (like depression and anxiety), and everyday functioning. The researchers then compared the results with a closely matched control group of 90 adults without ADHD and a larger online sample of 220 adults in the UK to see if similar patterns were found.

The Findings

According to the results, 19% of the first study group of people with ADHD displayed clinical hoarding symptoms. The remaining 81% showed signs of greater hoarding severity, but it did not affect their lives. In comparison, 2–3% of both the control groups exhibited clinically significant hoarding symptoms.

Towards Interventions

The study reconfirmed the links between mental disorders like ADHD, hoarding disorder, depression, etc. The researchers are enthusiastic that their findings can be used to develop effective interventions that treat behavioral disorders at early stages. This can help prevent them from turning into more severe mental health conditions later in life.

One of the lead researchers, Dr Sharon Morein, elaborated, “Greater awareness amongst clinicians and people could lead to more effective long-term management [of tendencies such as] hoarding [that] often gradually [worsen] with time.”

To Know More You May Relate To

Morein-Zamir, S., Kasese, M., Chamberlain, S. R., & Trachtenberg, E. (2021). Elevated levels of hoarding in ADHD: A special link with inattention. Journal of psychiatric research, 145, 167–174. Advance online publication.

AI Chatbot Avatar
⚠️ Liza is in training with WMHA and may not always provide the most accurate information.
How To Help A Friend With Mental Health Issues: Dos and Don’ts Rising PTSD Cases In Teens: Signs You Should Look For 8 Ways To Deal With Passive-Aggressive Coworkers 7 Rare Psychiatric Disorders That You Probably Don’t Know 7 Signs of Drug Abuse In Teenagers Is Borderline Personality Disorder The Worst Mental Illness? 8 Films That Portray Schizophrenia’s Devastating Reality 7 Ways to Cope With Generalized Anxiety Disorder Why Don’t People Take Mental Health Seriously? 7 Telltale Signs of Schizophrenia: World Schizophrenia Day 7 Tips To Nurture Your Child’s Mental Health How to Deal with Bullies Like a Pro? 5 Powerful Strategies