- Recent research revealed “mom rage” as a closeted mental health issue in mothers.
- Experts opined that it is an indication of underlying more severe mental health disorders.
American filmmaker Maggie Gyllenhaal’s The Lost Daughter and a viral TikTok video by Libby Ward (the content creator behind Diary of an Honest Mom) highlighted one of the hidden aspects of motherhood: mom-rage.
Emerging studies have also revealed that mom-rage is a frequent but unaddressed mental disorder that mothers, new and old, go through throughout or at some point in their lives.
What Is Mom Rage?
“Mom rage” is the colloquial term used to describe unrestrained anger that many women experience during pregnancy, postpartum, and beyond. It has been associated with baby blues and postpartum depression.
Given below are mom rage symptoms:
- Reserving resentment for the children
- Frequent emotional outbursts
- Frequent urge to yell
- Inability to identify the source or trigger for your rage.
Consequences Of Mom Rage
Mom-rage, if unaddressed, can have long-term consequences for a person’s family, children, and other social relationships. It can damage the parent-child bond and make children resentful.
In most cases, a woman experiencing mom-rage takes recourse in parental abuse and neglect, thereby inflicting negative developmental experiences on her children. This can also impact their emotional functioning, mental health, and ability to form healthy relationships.
How To Control Mom Rage?
Consider the following measures to address mom rage:
- Recognize and acknowledge what you are feeling
- Pause, take a break, and assess the situation
- Get rid of your feelings of shame and guilt
- Redress the situation with appropriate solutions
- Start out by making a list of things you can and can’t control
- Communicate to your partner/family the issues you are facing
- Seek help (like hiring caretakers) for managing your children
- Take some time out for yourself
- Consider stress reduction techniques like yoga, meditation, etc
- If needed, seek therapy
Moms’ Mental Health Matters
Pregnancy, a new baby, and motherhood involve a range of emotions. It also comes with several duties and expectations—because of which, the whole experience and the processes involved may seem overwhelming. A mother can face several challenges and experience mental health issues.
She can be depressed or anxious and yet be clueless about all the signs that depict that she is undergoing a breakdown. Because of societal demands, much of the time, these issues are hidden away and left undiagnosed.
A mother experiencing mom-rage should first and foremost realize that she is human and facing these issues are natural. She must move past the guilt and shame and take the necessary steps to care for her mental health. In this way, she can ensure the happiness and well-being of not just herself but also her children and family.