- Recent studies revealed how self-compassion lowers boredom.
- Experts recommended ways for cultivating high levels of self compassion.
What Is Self-compassion?
Self-compassion is the ability to offer compassion to one’s own self in the event of failure, suffering, or perceived inadequacy. It is composed of:
Benefits Of Self-compassion
Studies have linked self-compassion to:
- Learning goals
- Social connectedness
- Personal responsibility
- Emotional resilience
- Enhanced perceptions of a meaningful life
- Greater life satisfaction
Christy Whitman, a transformational leader and author, explained: “[Self-compassion] is an inner action that allows you to soothe and comfort yourself when things are not as you would like them to be. It is a way to feel yourself and allow yourself to have your experience and emotions, but move through them.”
How Self-compassion Lowers Boredom
More recently, a study published in the journal Personality and Individual Differences revealed how self-compassion lowers a person’s vulnerability to chronic boredom.
The researchers studied dispositional and state self-compassion, as well as boredom proneness and state boredom. In fact, they found that, besides boredom, self-compassion reduces other negative tendencies, such as:
- Internalization of problems
- Thought suppression
- Perfectionism, etc.
How To Practice Self-compassion?
Consider the following tips to foster self-compassion and experience less boredom:
- Practice self-love
- Be a compassionate observer
- Try to challenge your inner negative thoughts
- Avoid excessive self-criticism
- Practice forgiveness and gratitude
- Be open to learning
- Practice mindfulness
- Consider journaling, volunteering, etc.
- Avail therapy, meditation, mindfulness training, etc.
Remember that self-compassion is a conscious and voluntary action and it does not always come naturally. It takes time and practice to cultivate it.
Know More About –
Related Articles –
- 20 Things That Low Self-Esteem Steals From You
- 6 Life Changing Steps To Practice Mindful Self Compassion
- 5 Life Changing Habits That Build Self Esteem