- Recent studies show that brain tumor and depression are related.
- Medical practitioners warn about other psychiatric symptoms of brain tumors.
What Is A Brain Tumor?
A brain tumor is a growth or mass of abnormal cells in the human brain. Two types of brain tumors exist, including:
- Benign or noncancerous tumors
- Malignant or cancerous tumors
What Causes Brain Tumors?
Brain tumors can be caused by several factors, including:
- Old age
- Family history of cancer
- Smoking habits
- Exposure to toxins (like fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides, etc.)
- Working with cancer-causing agents (such as plastic, rubber, petroleum, etc.)
- Having mononucleosis or an Epstein-Barr virus infection
Prevalence Of Brain Tumor
Brain tumors affect 3–4% of the global population. Its rates appear higher in developed nations, compared to developing or underdeveloped countries.
How Brain Tumors And Depression Are Linked
Researchers explored the neuropsychiatric symptoms of brain tumors that are linked to structural and functional changes in the brain. As per research, brain tumors that particularly affect the pituitary gland and trigger hormonal disbalances result in mental health and personality changes in patients.
A brain tumor causes depression and other mental disorders like:
- Acute psychosis
- Personality disorders
- Headache disorders
- Mood disorders
- Eating disorders
Addressing The Neuropsychiatric Symptoms Of Brain Tumors
Out of the 78% affected with depression and personality changes due to brain tumors, only 18% have clinical manifestation. In some cases, cancer spreads from other parts of the body to the brain and vice versa.
Therefore, if you are experiencing the slightest of the aforementioned symptoms, please consider measures, such as:
- Visiting a doctor
- Diagnosing brain tumors with CT Scan, MRI SCAN, Angiogram, etc.
- Treatment options like surgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, targeted therapy, etc.
Only with a timely and the right diagnosis, you can avoid the long-term consequences of brain tumors—mainly, ill health and serious emotional changes.
Know More About –
Related Articles –
- What To Do If You Are Depressed: A 15-Step Guide
- 3 Unrealistic Beliefs That Create Anxiety And Depression And How To Be Rid Of Them
- The 10 Alarming Traits Of Borderline Personality Disorder That You Should Know